If you need to calculate ROI, there is a simple formula you can follow:
Total Revenue – Total Expenses = Return on Investment
But when it comes to content marketing, it can be difficult to tie your work directly to revenue numbers. That is why we’ve gathered the best tools on the web to help you demonstrate return, share your insights, and plan your marketing budget.
- Calculate Your Blogging ROI - I love this post by Jay Baer and it is the best place to start. This article is one of the most straightforward pieces on how to calculate ROI. Even if blogging isn’t your main content format, you can still use the steps in this article to outline all of the costs associated with your content marketing work.
- Quick and Easy Content Marketing ROI Tip Sheet – This includes a complete breakdown of what engagement and growth metrics you should be measuring.
- Content ROI by Kapost & Oracle – This ebook provides comparisons of the return you can see on content marketing versus other digital channels. A useful tool when deciding where to spend marketing budget.
- Ultimate Guide to Measuring the ROI of Content Marketing – Built by NewsCred, this guide is a great starting point for building your ROI measurement process.
- 4 Keys to Calculating ROI for Content Marketers – This piece does a great job of explaining why it is so difficult to determine ROI. Content doesn’t always lead to a direct sale, so you must instead track other metrics to determine progress towards a goal, like brand lift. Review this post for ways to demonstrate brand lift.
- Showing Real ROI for Your Content Marketing – This eBook was built by a number of leading minds in content marketing, including Curata, TopRank Online Marketing, and the Content Marketing Institute.
- Content ROI Center - Hosted by the CMO Council, this site is a great source for all things content ROI.
Content ROI Calculators
When you need to calculate ROI, there is no “one size fits all” calculator. But these are a good starting point:
- Fractl ROI Calculator – This is a simple, easy calculator to help you determine your ROI. However, to use this properly, you will need to know the value of a visit to your site, a social share, a link, and a major placement.
- Rockly ROI Calculator – Download this spreadsheet and you are on your way to being able to demonstrate your return. Not only is this a comprehensive calculator, it also suggests some unexpected benefits you may have missed.
If you found this collection of tools helpful, signup to get our newsletter today and make sure you never miss a post: